Monday, October 21, 2013

31 Days of Halloween - Quoth the Raven


For those of you just stopping by today,
The Design Team over at Altered Pages is participating in a 
31 Days of Halloween Blog Hop
with Smeared Ink & the following is my 2nd project

 photo wickedbloggerbutton_zps81ef6f33.jpg

31 Days of Halloween 2013 Wicked Blog Roll

Terra | Black Dragon | Kapree | Shell | Kristy | Susan | Helen | Loren | Alison | Kelli |De Stempelwinkel | Monique | Karen | Airless Chambers | Jane | Jennifer | Emily | Lisa | Lyneen | Wendy | Altered Pages Art Sociates | leslierahye | Delicious Doodles | Roni | Shoni | Jenn | DominoART | Jessica | Sandy | Carolyn | Carla | Julia | Steph | Trisha | Brigitte | Lisa | Anna


"Once upon a midnight dreary,
while I pondered, weak & weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore - 
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door - 
"Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door -
only this and nothing more."
Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven

While I was searching for inspiration for this project, I came across lots of really cool Poe projects & knew that I would like to do something with his images again...{My first one was published in Somerset Studios last year!}
...I decided to use an 11x14 canvas panel to collage the background on. I used various Halloween-themed papers, including G45's Steampunk Spells available at Altered Pages. I also used a 4x6 canvas panel from AP, painted it black, sanded it a bit; stamped it with a spider web design in white ink, then covered that with an image of Poe from the "Master of Macabre" collage sheet; cut out an oval frame in the purple patterned paper & used a polka dot from the G45 Steampunk Spells coordinating paper pack. I set that aside while I added various texture to the background of my board & rubbed black paint all along the edges & into any white space I had left after collaging with all the pieces of torn papers.
I used various stamps with ink & acrylic paint to apply texture to the background before I began embellishing it.
I used this great Gothic stamp set to create the "birds-eye cage" as well as stamped onto two dominoes I had previously colored with alcohol inks...
Available here


Look there behind the domino...fun Washi Tapes from AP too! I used a Script, Music Notes & Newsprint patterns all available HERE!
I picked up a few wooden letters at Michaels & painted them the tops purple, stamped a few different textures onto them with paint; inked the edges & adhered them to the corner with a Raven & a Leaky Shed Cross.
The girl is a cut-out from a paper pack I had on hand that I outlined with a white pen, but the heart in the middle is a rhinestone embellishment (similar to these in the store). (The mirror is from a dollhouse store.)
That's it!
Hope you'll keep stopping by to see what the other designers have come up with for the month!

Happy Haunting!



6 comments:

maureenjscott said...

WOW!!! saw this project on the 31DOH hop and had to come over and see it up close! Absolutely love this and the work you've put into it is awesome! fab! mo x

Laura S Reading said...

Thank you for the closer view and details. this is an amzing project. So much to love about it.

Steph said...

Had to hop over for a better view of this amazing creation! Love the colors and textures and images and EVERYTHING! Brilliant work of art!

Barbara Rankin said...

Simply awesome. Love all the detail and dimension you got on this piece.

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

This is wonderful and inspiring. enjoyed this..
susan s

trisha too said...

A great Poe piece, Becky--great colors and layers!

:)