Sunday, January 4, 2015

Seeing the Forest for the Trees


Simply put, I love teaching! Though when I start off with my students, I worry that I might miss a step or not explain something clearly. But in the end, I am always pleasantly surprised by the end results & the smiles on my students' faces! Read on & see what I mean...
my class sample
The start of the day had me a little worried as the snow started falling around lunchtime & the last time they forecasted a "trace of snow," we got 6 inches & blizzard-like conditions! So I was afraid I'd have to cancel class! But I have some brave & determined students! All but 3 of them made it! YAY!

After trying to find just the right size canvas board for us to work with, I decided to hit the local Home Depot! I had some lumber cut down into 12x20 lengths for us to work on instead!

Then I set about gathering scrapbook papers from my stash, paints, stamps & inks. I have my moms old Cricut machine & borrowed my sisters so that everyone wouldn't have to hand-cut all their circles! What a life saver those things are! Cooked up some yummy food & we were ready to go!
I didn't snap any photos during class, but of course I got everyone's finished work…





And one of some happy students…
Throughout the evening, several ladies said that this was their favorite class so far. How sweet is that?!

Oh & here's the one I worked on in class…
I just love sharing my passion with people & I love that the work seems to make them happy. Art can be totally therapeutic  That said, I have to share with you all that one of my students is going through a rough patch right now. She brought along some images & mantra's to put into her tree. She's treating it a lot like a vision board while she tries to move past this hard time. She said that my class came along at just the right time for her & I hope that her tree helps her "grow" in new directions!
It's things like this that make teaching my little classes every now & then so worthwhile!

If you are on Pinterest & would like to help me come up with new ideas for future classes, I would like to invite you to pin to my "Class Inspiration" board! Let me know if you'd like an invite!

I can't wait to get to work on the next class!!
Cheers!

No comments: