Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Finally, I can share!!!

I am so stinkin' excited!!!!  
A couple of months ago, I decided to do a "call" for submissions to Somerset Studios...I totally procrastinated & sent it out VERY last minute. And because they don't like to see work published elsewhere (even on blogs) prior to print, I couldn't share any of my images with you!
But, I am NOW becuase...
I opened my mailbox today to find a manilla envelope (magazine sized!) from Stampington & Co! I just KNEW it was an advance issue of Somerset Studios featuring artists work inspired by Edgar Allen Poe & that there had to be a letter inside saying "Congrats! You've been published!" 
And I was right!!!!!
 AND, I am flabbergasted!!! 
Not because I didn't think my work was good enough (even though I had been too chicken to send anything in before this), but because I sent it in right on the edge of the deadline - the paint & glue was barely dry!!! This has been a long-time goal for me & now I have the courage to send in more work!!! YAY!!! (Sorry, kinda bragging & patting myself on the back, but I'm JUST THAT EXCITED!!!!)

So, here's the only photo they put in...I'm a little disappointed that they didn't photograph the book as a whole, but maybe the left page was damaged a little bit AND had I gotten it in a little earlier, I may have been chosen for more of an article explaining how I made it.
But, beggars can't be choosers, right?!?!?
I used the story of "Ligeia" for my inspiration...about a man who's soul mate/wife dies & although he re-marries, he's never gotten over his first wife. When the 2nd wife becomes ill, he begins seeing his first wife in the bed of the sick 2nd wife while he grieves. In the end, the first wife comes back to life in the body of the 2nd, but looking like the first! Very spooky & VERY POE!
Here are the images of the altered book I sent in...
An Altered Book...
I anchored down the unused pages with wire instead of glue; then cut a window in the right side, placing transparencies on 3 pages to the right.
 Poe & Raven images from Altered Pages - I altered them even more!
 "Ligeia" on the first transparent page...
Lady Rowena - the 2nd wife, on the 2nd transparent page...
 (these images are from Luna Girl)
Spooky huh? I love the way the transparencies allowed me the illusion of Lady Rowena morphing into Ligeia...

 Finally, she emerges as the love of his life, Ligeia
One last ghostly image for you to ponder!!!

I have to thank Junelle Halstrom Jacobson, Christy Campbell Tomlinson (my "teachers" during The Art of Wild Abadonment online class) & my recent collage teacher, Jo Fitsell for inspiring me to take that leap & send some of my work in for publication!!
Follow your dreams!
Cheers!



3 comments:

littlethings1 said...

Becky
That is so wonderful ! I remember your mailing it off ! Congrats to you ! So happy for you ! You are so talented !
Eunice

Chick Challenges {with ippity} said...

CONGRATS!!! How exciting!! I am proud of you!!

Ingrid Vient said...

Yippeee! I'm so glad you did that - you're an inspiration for me! I remember when you did that transparency a while back and now that I've gotten a closer look I can see the 2 images on top of each and I love that effect!!!