Sunday, September 11, 2011

Celebrate Life!!

I know that many of you spent the day remembering the terrible events that rocked our nation 10 years ago & even though the images of 9/11 flashed through my mind throughout the day, I chose to celebrate the birthday of a good friend of mine this morning who has had a rather crappy year (to put it mildly)!

She is a very talented, kind & generous lady (some of you guys may know her...Rachel Carlson) & she never ceases to amaze me on this journey we call LIFE! She will persevere & I know that her next venture will be THE BEST ONE YET!! She is destined to do great things in the crafting world & I hope she glides over any more speed bumps in the road!
This is a cute cupcake girl card my sister made for her

We had the "traditional Rachel B-day Breakfast at Snooze" (present opening pix will be on my FB profile soon) & it was great to see old friends. I hope that the morning reminded Rachel that she we will always rally around her whenever she needs us! I hope that she had a wonderful day & that her year only continues to get better from here on out!!

Because she has had such a challenging year, I made her a little tin (my latest craze, as you know!) with a play on the "When Life Gives You Lemons" saying. (Thanks to Kelly Miller for the PERFECT picture of Rachel!) I completely forgot to take pictures before I gave it to her, so sorry the images aren't that great!
This was my first real attempt at playing around in PSE to create the cover digitally & I am pretty damn proud of myself!
I "cut" Rachel out of her original background & plopped her on some fun splotchy polka-dots with the title & lemons. Then I added the lemon slices to her eyes & a "fashionable" lemon clip in her hair for the finishing touches!

After all, Rachel IS the Cupcake Girl!
Inside are some lemons made from clay, a 12-Bingo piece for the actual date of her birth, a wire dollhouse wisk on top of another digital image of a lemon cupcake. On the right is a recipe for lemon cupcakes that pulls out...
The right side is like a little shaker-box with clay lemons behind acetate under the recipe!!

I had a blast making this little box for her & I hope that it brings a smile to her face every time she glances at it!
Happy Birthday Rachel!! Here's to many more!!
XOXO
-Beck

1 comment:

Rachel Carlson said...

Oh Becky, what a sweet post this is and it means so much to me. I am so happy you were able to come and spend this time with me. I LOVE my tin and can't wait to make lemon cupcakes. Love you BIG. Hugs!