Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Creative Connection T-10 hrs, give or take...

First of all, I have to say AAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK!!! I seem to have forgotten my camera cord! I am so disappointed because tonight's post was written in the hotel bar based on my roaming around taking pix when I arrived today!!

But, I am going to post it anyway. Sorry there are no pictures to accompany my rant, but I hope to find a cord tomorrow!

{Written at 7:30pm MN Time, US}
I arrived shortly after 4 pm at the MSP airport, which by the way seems larger than Denver's!
On the taxi ride over to the hotel, we passed an old building that had "ART HERE" written on the side of it & I cursed myself for not having my camera ready, but vowed to find it later! (I never did find it - must have been on a different road than I thought! Soooo bummed because it was so appropriate for this weekend! I even walked all the way from the hotel to the River Centre; where the Foo Fighter's were playing tonight! About 9 blocks & no luck!)

But, the city-area around the hotel was really very pretty & right along the Mighty Mississippi! There are some beautiful older buildings right up against the new, as with any old city. But what struck me is that several of the building seem to have an Art Deco feel of the 1920's. For instance, (& I have a photo to post tomorrow, I suppose!) the City Hall building had these beautiful caged sconces along the outside of their building that I fell in love with! {HA! Insert photo here!} And, the bridge right across from the hotel screams Art Deco to me with some great iron-work. I took tons of photos of this mighty bridge expanding the Miss! It may have just been constructed to look that way because a plaque I found stated that some of the lights installed in the 1990's were "special occasion spot lights." But it's a beautiful bridge that I hope to share with you tomorrow!

One thing I realized as I wandered around this part of the city, is how much I miss random photo ops! I really enjoyed wandering around & just snapping pix here & there, especially of architecture. If I have any more time this week, I hope to find a historical area or maybe more of a main street to snap a few more pictures!

Outside of that, I am kind-of lonely & feel rather lost tonight as I write this down in the hotel bar, with a glass of wine & a buffet plate on the table. It seems to me that those around me {that I can discern as conference goers}, are all in groups of 2-6 or more! And here I am, my wee little self wishing that mom & Kim were with me right now to laugh & have fun with! I know that I will meet others like me that I can hang with throughout the rest of the week, but for tonight, it kinda sucks to be alone!
see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Tippy Stockton said...

Becky, I wish that I would have known you were all by your lonesome that first evening in MN. My motto is, "the more the merrier". NEXT YEAR. So glad to have found your blog. I love your city tour - all the things that I wanted to take pictures of if only I hadn't left my camera in the room. Patricia :) aka Tippy Stockton